The Microsoft Offensive Research & Security Engineering (MORSE) team is looking for a learn-it-all engineer that will help secure Microsoft products and devices.
The MORSE team is responsible for securing the Windows client and server operating systems, used by billions of customers every day in businesses and across Azure. This team performs security design reviews, code reviews, and penetration testing on key features of Windows and Azure to make sure they meet the highest possible security standards.
In this role, you will help engineering teams secure the operating systems built at Microsoft. The ideal candidate will have hands-on experience with native code (C/C++), penetration testing (code audit, writing fuzzers, finding creative ways to break assumptions), a clear understanding of OS security fundamentals, solid computer science skills, and a passion for keeping Microsoft customers safe.
- Participate in security reviews to identify and mitigate risk in Microsoft products, including design reviews, code reviews, and fuzzing
- Be the security contact for teams building new innovative products and technologies in the next version of Windows, Azure, and devices
- Identify security vulnerabilities in a wide variety of key OS features such as network protocols, security features, and Microsoft devices
- Leverage a broad and current understanding of security to devise new protections
- Interact with the external security community and security researchers
- Collaborate with product teams to improve security, and articulate the business value of security investments
- 5+ years' experience in identifying security vulnerabilities, software development lifecycle, large-scale computing or cyber security.
- 1+ year(s) of identifying security vulnerabilities in native (C/C++) code.
Additional or Preferred Qualifications
- Public track record of relevant security research, especially around vulnerability discovery
- Experience exploiting bugs and bypassing security mitigations in operating systems
- Familiarity with Microsoft Windows architecture
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check every two years.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Microsoft is on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our culture is centered on embracing a growth mindset, a theme of inspiring excellence, and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day. In doing so, we create life-changing innovations that impact billions of lives around the world. You can help us to achieve our mission.