Principal Software Engineering Manager - Microsoft
Do you want to work on a product that is used by millions and millions of people around the world daily and growing rapidly? Do you care deeply about how software is constructed at scale? Do you want to be part of fun-loving, inclusive, dedicated, and world-class team that continuously pushes the boundary of service and engineering excellence?
The Web Experience and Services Team is looking for a Principal Software Engineering Manager who is passionate about working on high-scale geo-distributed services. These services power the infrastructure behind the Office web applications like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote and Visio that are part of the Office 365 suite. You will help design, build and run all aspects of these high scale services including monitoring, scalability and reliability. We are gearing up to modernize our infrastructure services to achieve world class scalability and reliability. We seek to build on the site reliability principles to understand distributed systems and high-scale services. If you want hands-on experience in designing, building and running a global service in the M365 and Azure ecosystem, this is the role for you.
As a Principal Software Engineering Manager on the WEST team, you will lead key areas in our Services at Scale charter. You will be empowered to have end-to-end ownership for your areas including design, code, test and telemetry coverage. You’ll partner deeply across disciplines and multiple large partner teams to deliver results that enable Office to scale.
As a leader on the team you will also be:
- Owning complete solutions across their entire lifecycle
- Drive the overall architecture of solution and infrastructure within the team and across the organization
- Work closely across teams and disciplines to shape the solutions and make sure they provide value to our customers
- Drive solution implementation across feature crews
- Comply with project plans and industry standards
- Foster a culture of agility, innovation, and customer focus within the team
- Lead by example high level of technical excellence, including but not limited to participating in design, code and test reviews
- Mentor more junior team members professionally
As a team we believe in doing all of this while having fun! A core part of our team culture involves supporting an environment where everyone can do their best work. We expect all our team members to support this culture.
- 10+ years of experience in building and shipping production grade software and services.
- Bachelor’s or equivalent degree in Computer Science, Math, Engineering, or related field.
- Demonstrated experience in shipping high-quality products or services
- Experience delivering successful Web or Cloud projects.
- You’ve led – you have experience leading a team of engineers by setting clear expectations, keeping team members energized, and delivering great results.
- You collaborate – you can explain your work, you can ask great questions, you can listen to your peers and your customers, you can influence without authority, and you like to give and receive feedback.
- You stay focused – you want to ship software that solves real problems for real people, now.
- You’re a professional – you understand that it’s not enough to write working code. It must also be well-designed, easy to test, and easy to add to over time.
- You’re learning – no matter how much you know, you are always seeking to learn more and to become a better engineer and leader.
- Demonstrated experience working on distributed systems and/or high-performance systems
- Strong cross-discipline and cross group collaboration skills
- Strong problem solving, debugging, and troubleshooting skills
- Experience participating in open source projects
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Microsoft is on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our culture is centered on embracing a growth mindset, a theme of inspiring excellence, and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day. In doing so, we create life-changing innovations that impact billions of lives around the world. You can help us to achieve our mission.