Principal Product Manager – Hardware Systems - Microsoft
Microsoft’s Cloud Operations and Innovation Business is looking for a Principal Product Manager for the CTO Office. The person in this role will take customer application, software, and servicing requests and translate to infrastructure and hardware buildout and datacenter design implementation. This position requires technical knowledge of hardware system architecture to make optimization tradeoffs along the way, working with engineering subject matter experts.
The ideal candidate should be very knowledgeable about compute, storage, networking, and graphics. You will collaborate with Advance Development technical subject matter experts (SME), Datacenter Design Engineers, Data Scientists, Supply Chain, Datacenter Operations and Tooling, and other engineering disciplines as many assumptions need to be challenged and iterated on with all these areas. As Principal Product Manager, you will be very knowledgeable about datacenter design, critical environments, availability, power, cooling and advanced energy solutions and implementation. A strong skill set covering engineering project management, problem solving, technical program management, communication, and internal/external partner engagement is required.
In alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day.
- Take customer requests and translates to system hardware buildout and datacenter design implementation, optimizing density and Total Cost of Ownership (TCO).
- Ensure expedient deployment and execution of technical programs.
- Apply critical thinking to scope programs and manage challenging programs.
- Develop and drive scalability requirements.
- Define and deliversystem platforms and datacenter architecture designs.
- Partner with Technical Program Managers, technical subject matter experts and Operations to ensure that transition and acceptance criteria have been met, and that projects are completed and delivered on schedule.
- Oversees cross-divisional teams developing the staging and implementation plan for piloting/release in alignment with Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for feature(s)/feature areas.
- Holds cross-divisional teams accountable by leading governance programs and processes to ensure that specific performance requirements and standards are met throughout the development lifecycle.
- Bachelor’s Degree AND 10+ years experience in product/service/project/program management or software development
- OR equivalent experience.
- 6+ years building and working with cross-functional teams.
- 6+ years in a leadership position with a provider of cloud, datacenter, utility, or critical environment services.
- Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements arerequired for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to, the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
- 10+ years working in delivering or maintaining cloud capacity or infrastructure.
- Knowledge of data center processes and technology.
- Knowledge of hardware manufacturing or integration processes and technology.
- Ability and interest in operating in technical domains and environments that have ambiguity.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to influence without authority across engineering teams.
- Experience leading critical engineering initiatives that span multiple teams, which often have conflicting priorities and schedules.
- Excellent program management skills and experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communications and interpersonal skills.
Product Management IC6 - The typical base pay range for this role across the U.S. is USD $158,500 - $276,600 per year. There is a different range applicable to specific work locations, within the San Francisco Bay area and New York City metropolitan area, and the base pay range for this role in those locations is USD $202,800 - $304,200 per year.Learn more about base pay ranges and pay equity:https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/us-corporate-pay
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Microsoft is on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our culture is centered on embracing a growth mindset, a theme of inspiring excellence, and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day. In doing so, we create life-changing innovations that impact billions of lives around the world. You can help us to achieve our mission.