Principal Datacenter Architect - Microsoft
Microsoft Cloud Operations and Innovation (CO+I) is the team behind the cloud. Within CO+I, the Datacenter Engineering (DCE) team is responsible for delivering core datacenter infrastructure for Microsoft’s cloud business.
The Microsoft portfolio consists of complex, multi-disciplinary, large scale, multi-year datacenter construction and lease projects. We are looking for a Principal Datacenter Architect to help build the cloud datacenters that power the world’s largest online services!
In alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day.
- Drive the design of all aspects of the physical networking infrastructure effectively and efficiently and address any design-related issues that arise during construction for all Microsoft datacenters/co-location facilities.
- Work with Datacenter Operations and partner on standards, requirements, and materials as specified.
- Lead design workgroups and drive cross-functional meetings for multiple, concurrent capital projects.
- Manage issues, decisions and risks, drive initiatives to improve the efficiency and quality to scale.
- Act as a critical thinker, develop statements of work and design documents, then review and critically evaluate bids and options for projects.
- Evaluate operational impacts, deployment, and implementation challenges associated with design implementation for Microsoft Owned facilities and Lease sites.
- Act as technical lead on architecture requirements and master planning impacts for special, non-conforming projects, retrofits, refreshes, and other duties as assigned.
- Work closely with the project team to provide design review and guidance, technical leadership, and coordinated design direction for architectural, structural, and civil elements for data center design, permitting, construction and site selection, due diligence, and master planning.
- Work across multiple projects and collaborate with key stakeholders, authorities having jurisdiction as well as external architect/engineering consultants and contractors to ensure that Microsoft’s data center technical design standards and quality are met.
- Provide architectural technical reviews and oversight for new data center designs, builds, leases, and renovations in addition to civil and structural technical support for site selection, due diligence, master planning and permitting.
- Provide data center architectural designs and reviews (Specifications, Drawings, and Schedules) within CAD and/or Revit drawings and/or direction to architect/engineering firms for outside design work.
- Collaborate with Global Technical Governance team, Global Strategy teams and Data Collection Engineering Operations Team to utilize Base of Design documentation to create and/or oversee the creation of the datacenter designs from basis of design to issue for constructions and through the Construction Administration phase of datacenter until handover for new data center project build-outs, leases, special projects and/or network upgrades.
- Be highly organized and able to oversee multiple projects while providing structured thinking, logic, and analytics.
- Hold a customer service focus with the ability to communicate with highly technical management teams.
- Provide both remote site support for construction teams, as well as in person or virtual site visits to review all stages of the constructions projects as well as to ensure quality is being maintained throughout.
- Hold large scale data center design experience, working knowledge of architecture design standards, experience site selection and due diligence and master planning for data centers, and design and peer review experience.
- 10+ years of technical architectural experience
- OR Bachelor's degree in Architecture, or related field AND 8+ years of technical architecture experience
- OR Master's degree in Architecture, or related field AND 5+ years of technical architecture experience
- OR Doctorate degree in Architecture, or related field AND 4+ years of technical architecture experience
- Registered Professional Architect
- Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to, the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
- 15 years of experience in architecture/engineering due diligence with experience leading large-scale critical infrastructure projects
- 10 years of experience in due diligence for greenfield, brownfield, retrofit and expansion of large-scale facilities including geotechnical report analysis, topographic and boundary survey review, code/covenant/restriction and coordination with authorities having jurisdiction and utility capacity constraint review
- Experience leading teams of engineers in advanced engineering and operational processes and procedures as they relate to large datacenter environments
- Experience leading multiple projects of varying timelines while managing project expectations
- Experience in navigating in CAD, Revit, Sketchup, Bluebeam and Building Information Modeling software for drawing review and development of conceptual level master plans during site selection and early design phases
- Experience working in high critical environment projects (healthcare, enterprise, large retail, critical environments, healthcare, government etc.)
- Experience and working knowledge in land acquisition, seismic zoning, planning, permitting and development
- Knowledge of building codes and regulations, safety standards, and industry standards
Hardware Engineering IC5 - The typical base pay range for this role across the U.S. is USD $133,600 - $256,800 per year. There is a different range applicable to specific work locations, within the San Francisco Bay area and New York City metropolitan area, and the base pay range for this role in those locations is USD $173,200 - $282,200 per year.Certain roles may be eligible for benefits and other compensation. Find additional benefits and pay information here: https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/us-corporate-pay
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Microsoft is on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our culture is centered on embracing a growth mindset, a theme of inspiring excellence, and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day. In doing so, we create life-changing innovations that impact billions of lives around the world. You can help us to achieve our mission.