In the Azure Wide Area Networking (WAN) team, we provide the internet and cloud connectivity to enable that mission. We’re passionate about innovating and automating every aspect of datacenter networking to achieve vast improvements in affordability and reliability.
As a Senior Software Engineer in the Azure WAN team, you will help build the world’s first Hollow Core Fiber networking solution. You will own the design and implementation of hardware operating systems and Software Define Networking (SDN) controllers that will work together to control and manage our Hollow Core infrastructure. This opportunity will allow you to accelerate career growth by working on the most interesting technologies in networking and develop deep business acumen as you own the products from design through to Customer success.
Microsoft’s mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. As employees we come together with a growth mindset, innovate to empower others and collaborate to realize our shared goals. Each day we build on our values of respect, integrity, and accountability to create a culture of inclusion where everyone can thrive at work and beyond.
- Self-starter with proven ability to develop creative solutions that enable Customers.
- Collaborates with appropriate stakeholders to determine user requirements for a scenario.
- Drives identification of dependencies and the development of design documents for a product, application, service, or platform.
- Creates, implements, optimizes, debugs, refactors, and reuses code to establish and improve performance and maintainability, effectiveness, and return on investment (ROI).
- Acts as a Designated Responsible Individual (DRI) and guides other engineers by developing and following the playbook, working on call to monitor system/product/service for degradation, downtime, or interruptions, alerting stakeholders about status and initiates actions to restore system/product/service for simple and complex problems when appropriate.
- Proactively seeks new knowledge and adapts to new trends, technical solutions, and patterns that will improve the availability, reliability, efficiency, observability, and performance of products while also driving consistency in monitoring and operations at scale.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, or related technical discipline AND 4+ years technical engineering experience with coding in languages including, but not limited to, Golang, Python, or Rust.
- OR equivalent experience.
- 4+ years of designing and implementing hardware operating systems or experience in developing SDN controllers
- 3+ years of experience running production systems for internal/external customers
Additional or Preferred Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related technical field AND 8+ years technical engineering experience with coding in languages including, but not limited to, Golang, Python, or Rust.
- OR Master's Degree in Computer Science or related technical field AND 6+ years technical engineering experience with coding in languages including, but not limited to, Golang, Python, or Rust.
- OR equivalent experience.
- Technical experience as an Optical Engineer
- Technical experience with OpenAI and Chat Generative Pre-trained Transformer (Chat GPT)
- Strong demonstration of customer obsession and DevOps Mindset.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Software Engineering IC4 - The typical base pay range for this role across the U.S. is USD $112,000 - $218,400 per year. There is a different range applicable to specific work locations, within the San Francisco Bay area and New York City metropolitan area, and the base pay range for this role in those locations is USD $145,800 - $238,600 per year.Learn more about base pay ranges and pay equity: https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/us-corporate-pay
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Microsoft is on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our culture is centered on embracing a growth mindset, a theme of inspiring excellence, and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day. In doing so, we create life-changing innovations that impact billions of lives around the world. You can help us to achieve our mission.