Business Manager, Strategy & Portfolio Management - Microsoft
The Strategy & Operations (S&O) team for Microsoft Customer and Partner Solutions (MCAPS) drives the development and execution of the commercial strategy and field operating model for Microsoft’s customer and partner facing organization. S&O works to simplify & optimize our operating model and develop strategies to empower the most productive and trusted commercial business on the planet. This includes how the organization benefits customers and partners, enabling MCAPS to support them more effectively, efficiently, and with competitive differentiation.
The Strategy & Portfolio Management (S&PM) team within S&O is responsible for the development and execution of a multi-year strategic roadmap for MCAPS. The team is focused on improving sales model effectiveness, maintaining an integrated view of progress and assuring Microsoft’s ROI across the MCAPS strategic portfolio. S&PM also supports the ongoing rollout and further development of our Microsoft Customer Engagement Model (MCEM) utilized across MCAPS.
The Business Manager IC5reports directly to the General Manager, Strategy & Portfolio Management.
Key responsibilities will include the following:
- Financial Management. Manage the S&PM team’s operating budget end-to-end, including budgeting, forecasting, delivering expenses in line with budget commitments, and managing purchase orders and vendors.
- People Management. Manage the S&PM team’s organizational blueprint and actively support recruitment and on-boarding processes and career development.
- Team Operations & Culture. Foster an energized, innovative, and collaborative culture by coordinating regular team meetings and periodic off-sites, including agenda-setting, driving engaged discussions, and ensuring effective follow-up.Lead employee engagement initiatives in collaboration with HR. Support the Strategy Community Forum, a cross-MCAPS community of strategy professionals.
- Executive Communications. Work independently to write strategy-related presentations for the S&PM team, S&O leadership team, MCAPS leadership teams. Assist the General Manager, S&PM in other communications.
- Objectives and Key Responsibilities (OKRs). Manage OKRs within the S&PM team, and manage S&PM’s OKRs in the S&O team.
- Team Strategy. Support the General Manager, S&PM in developing and communicating the mission, strategy, and priorities of the S&PM team and building the capabilities to deliver the strategy.
- Special Projects. Lead cross-S&O and other special projects requiring the involvement of the S&PM team, including initiatives to enhance collaboration across S&O and MCAPS.
Other responsibilities may include the following:
- Leverages knowledge of organizational strategy and planned deliverables for the upcoming year(s) to design budgets. Works in partnership with Finance to approve budgets. Develops forecasting plans in partnership with the leadership team. Identifies actions that can be taken to course-correct and drive performance improvement; anticipates business challenges based on forecasts. Works with Procurement team to coordinate future resources.
Maximizing/ Extending the Leader
- Leverages knowledge of the leader's goals and business approach to ensure business activities are aligned with the leader's objectives. Supports the leader in one or more key business management areas (e.g., setting key goals, priorities, and definitions; team culture and health; communications; budget/finance; industry/specific business knowledge).
- Leverages relationships to influence and advise on strategic decisions, content, and/or expertise. Leverages key partnerships to drive the agenda for the leadership team and ensure follow up.
- Monitors team/organization health and supports the leader in responding to team culture issues, as well as leading culture initiatives (e.g., Diversity and Inclusion, hiring, onboarding) while partnering with Human Resources to do so. Manages training completion rates.
Special Projects/Programs and Initiatives
- Drives cross-team projects as needed to meet the changing business environment and manage complex business needs. Engages in project management or may act as a project/program manager to ensure organization-wide implementation of strategic efforts that require hands-on coordination across multiple functional disciplines and business organizations.
- Leads executive-level communication with a variety of internal audiences. Optimizes the manager's time by organizing communications on behalf of the leader to expediteleader's time responding to emails. Develops presentations and messaging related to the team's mission and key projects.
- Bachelor's Degree in relevant field (e.g., Liberal Arts, Business Administration, Management, Computer Science) AND 6+ years experience in financial management, business planning, operations management, strategy, project management, human resources, or business-related roles
- OR equivalent experience.
Additional or Preferred Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree in relevant field (e.g., Liberal Arts, Business Administration, Management, Computer Science) AND 8+ years experience in financial management, business planning, operations management, strategy, project management, human resources, or business-related roles
- OR Master's Degree in relevant field (e.g., Liberal Arts, Business Administration, Management, Computer Science) AND 5+ years experience in financial management, business planning, operations management, strategy, project management, human resources, or business-related roles
- OR equivalent experience.
The salary range for this role based in Colorado is from $129,800 to $194,800. At Microsoft certain roles are eligible for additional rewards, including annual bonus and stock. These awards are allocated based on individual performance. In addition, certain roles also have the opportunity to earn sales incentives based on revenue or utilization, depending on the terms of the plan and the employee’s role. Benefits/perks listed here may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work. US-based employees gain access to healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan and company match, short-term and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance, and fitness benefits, among others.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Microsoft is on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our culture is centered on embracing a growth mindset, a theme of inspiring excellence, and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day. In doing so, we create life-changing innovations that impact billions of lives around the world. You can help us to achieve our mission.