Principal ASIC Design Engineer - Microsoft
Microsoft is a leader in the design of world-class entertainment devices. Microsoft’s Silicon team builds custom silicon for Microsoft’s innovative hardware products including Microsoft Xbox and HoloLens.
Are you seeking an opportunity to work on delivering silicon solutions that have a planet-scale impact? The Data Processing Unit (DPU) team within the Azure Hardware Systems & Infrastructure group is seeking a Principal ASIC Design engineer (Application Specific Integrated Circuits). You will join our front-end silicon team and be responsible for delivering cutting-edge, high performance, low power, scalable and programmable DPU silicon.
As a Principal ASIC Design Engineer in the Data Processing Unit team you will be responsible for implementing silicon to solve complex problems in a datacenter. You will interact with the software team to co-develop a programmable silicon implementation. This position is expected to be highly visible and impactful. The vast breadth of domains required to build our DPU silicon gives the perfect opportunity to experience different areas of expertise. The depth required to solve complex engineering problems utilizes your experience and provides you with the perfect platform to shine and grow to the next stage in your career.
Microsoft’s mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. As employees we come together with a growth mindset, innovate to empower others, and collaborate to realize our shared goals. Each day we build on our values of respect, integrity, and accountability to create a culture of inclusion where everyone can thrive at work and beyond.
Central to our mission is a highly programmable data processing chip (DPU). As a Principal ASIC Design Engineer, you will be responsible for all aspects of digital System on Chip (SoC) design, focusing on micro-architecture, RTL, verification, logic synthesis, and timing analysis to deliver a design meeting target power, performance and area goals.
· Researches new tools, technologies, or methods. Determines which tools are required to successfully deliver on project requirements, and then proscribes those tools across the product units. Promotes tool best practices.
· Provides recommendations for difficult or complex make-versus-buy decisions based on complexity, financial impact, quality, reliability, and time duration. Influences decision making with wider decision makers and stakeholders.
· Acts as an expert resource to others on matters related to industry trends, competitor products, the customer experience, and advances in various engineering. Shares and acquires expert knowledge of deep technical areas, or across multiple domains within their team and across teams working on similar products.
· Creates robust, scalable, and extensible complex, or multiple complex designs and/or verification plans; develops technology and product roadmaps. Takes a lead role in execution of complex designs.
· Identifies potential intellectual property, conducts technical due diligence, and encourages other engineers to file patent designs. Encourages wider adoption of intellectual property and/or licensing throughout the industry. May file patents and complete necessary patent document.
· Serves as an expert in the dimensions of business, experience, and technology (BXT) to develop or advise solution cases for highly complex and difficult quality and design challenges.
· Refines the architecture or the sub-component of the architecture of the silicon chip.
· Uses performance instrumentation and presents results and insights to team and architects. Writes performance simulators and creates spreadsheets to derive microarchitecture trade-offs. Makes recommendations to architects and management.
· Generates or contributes to single/multiple project implementation schedules and anticipates project implementation issues. Proposes changes to project schedules and designs to mitigate risks.
· Leads feedback and changes to the existing engineering processes.
· Reviews third party, highly complex intellectual property data sheets against requirements. Evaluates external supplier or partner quality and resources, monitors execution to plan, in order to ensure successful delivery.
· Reviews key details of external supplier or partner products to support product development. Participates in making external supplier or partner selection decisions.
· Drives teams on the anticipation and mitigation of the most significant project risks (e.g., external supplier or partner delays, incomplete specs, or tool issues)
throughout the project. Incorporates learnings from previous projects and brings in expertise when needed to resolve issues.
· Monitors project progress/status updates across multiple project teams, anticipates potential challenges, and shares details with key stakeholders as necessary (e.g., proactively resolve design issues, acquire resources, ensure best practices are shared, or identify feasible alternatives).
Reporting and Documentation
· Recommends processes, documents, and policies related and oversees the creation of documents and templates across teams. Identifies where training is beneficial and coordinates training.
· Writes internal device specification sheets. Suggests modifications for internal device specifications and data sheets based on their expertise. Identifies ways to add value to existing products and testing procedures.
Other · Embody ourculture and values
- 9+ years of related technical engineering experience
- OR Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or related field AND 6+ years technical engineering experience or internship experience
- OR Master's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or related field AND 4+ years technical engineering experience or internship experience
- OR Doctorate degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or related field AND 3+ years technical engineering experience.
- 9+ years of RTL design and/or architecture experience.
Additional or Preferred Qualifications
- Knowledge of DMA engine, hardware offloading, programmable logic. Prio experience in designing accelerator engines is a Plus.
- Experience with Definition and development of complex SoCs. In depth understanding of processors and peripheral interconnect bus protocols and architectures.
- Experience with high performance (low latency, high bandwidth) design techniques.
- Understanding of low power microarchitecture techniques and knowledge of Verilog, System Verilog, Synthesis and Static Timing Analysis.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Silicon Engineering IC5 - The typical base pay range for this role across the U.S. is USD $133,600 - $256,800 per year. There is a different range applicable to specific work locations, within the San Francisco Bay area and New York City metropolitan area, and the base pay range for this role in those locations is USD $173,200 - $282,200 per year.Learn more about base pay ranges and pay equity: https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/us-corporate-pay
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Microsoft is on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our culture is centered on embracing a growth mindset, a theme of inspiring excellence, and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day. In doing so, we create life-changing innovations that impact billions of lives around the world. You can help us to achieve our mission.